Hematology in Huntsville Alabama and Other Locations
Hematology is the study of blood in health and disease. Blood is composed of plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. People may be affected by many different types of blood conditions and blood cancers. Blood conditions can be broken down into white blood cell disorders, red blood cell disorders, clotting disorders and bleeding disorders.
What do hematologists do?
Hematologists are doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating issues with the blood and related structures, such as bone marrow. There are many helpful tests and procedures that can be performed for a hematologist to study the blood such as:
- Complete blood cell count (CBC). This test can help identify many blood conditions and diseases such as anemia, inflammatory disease, and blood cancer.
- Platelet count. This test can help monitor and identify bleeding disorders.
- Blood enzyme tests. Many blood enzyme tests can be performed, the purpose of these tests is to assist a doctor in diagnosing cardiovascular conditions, such as a heart attack.
- Bone marrow biopsy. Bone marrow is a very important component of the body that produces blood. The ability to test marrow can help doctors diagnose issues such as anemia, thrombocytopenia (a low platelet count), and some cancers associated with bone marrow.
- Blood transfusion. Transfusions involve giving healthy blood through an IV. These are used to replace lost components of the blood due to an injury or illness.
Many different health issues can affect the blood, from anemia to cancer, and hematologists can provide a range of tests and treatments that best fit your needs. The link between hematology and oncology is important for those who may have cancer of the blood.
- Dr. Brett Barlow
- Dr. Diego J. Bedoya
- Dr. Heather Brody
- Dr. Robert M. Conry
- Dr. Paul Dang
- Dr. Jorge Diaz
- Dr. Ehab El-Bahesh
- Dr. Michael Garcia
- Dr. Karl Hagler
- Dr. Kanth Katragadda
- Dr. C. Daniel Kingsley